- The Cultic Setting of Realized Eschatology in Early Christianity. Supplements to Novum Testamentum, 28. Leiden: E.J. Brill, 1972.
- Jesus and the Synoptic Gospels: A Bibliographic Study Guide. Madison: Theological Students Fellowship, 1980.
- Prophecy in Early Christianity and the Ancient Mediterranean World. Grand Rapids: Eerdmans, 1983. Paperback edition, 1991. Paperback edition reprinted: Eugene, Oregon: Wipf and Stock Publishers, 2003.
- Italian translation: La Profezia nel Primo Cristianesimo e il Mondo Mediterraneo Antico. Biblioteca di storia e storiografia dei tempi biblici, 10. Trans. edited by Oscar Ianovitz. Brescia: Paideia Editrice, 1996.
- The New Testament in Its Literary Environment. Philadelphia: The Westminster Press, 1987.
- Spanish translation: El nuevo testamento en su entorno literario. Trans. Blanca Avalos Cadena. Bilbao: Desclée de Brouwer, 1993.
- Revelation 1-5. Word Biblical Commentary 52A. Waco: Word Books, 1997.
- Revelation 6-19. Word Biblical Commentary 52B. Nashville: Thomas Nelson, 1998.
- Revelation 17-22. Word Biblical Commentary 52C. Nashville: Thomas Nelson, 1998.
- The Westminster Dictionary of New Testament & Early Christian Literature & Rhetoric. Louisville and London: John Knox Press, 2003..
- Apocalypticism, Prophecy, and Magic in Early Christianity: Collected Essays. WUNT 199; Tübingen: Mohr Siebeck, 2006. American paperback edition: Grand Rapids: Baker Academic, 2008.
- Edited with Frederick E. Brenk, Greco-Roman Culture and the New Testament: Studies Commemorating the Centennial of the Pontifical Biblical Institute (NovT Supp; Leiden: E. J. Brill, 2012).
- The Blackwell Companion to the New Testament, ed. David E. Aune (Oxford: Wiley-Blackwell, 2010).
- With Robin Darling Young, Reading Religions in the Ancient World: Essays Presented to Robert McQueen Grant on His 90th Birthday (Supplements to Novum Testamentum, 125; Leiden: E. J. Brill, 2007).
- Rereading Paul Together: Protestant and Catholic Perspectives on Justification. Grand Rapids: Baker Academic, 2006. 208 pp, 6 x 9, paper, $21.99, ISBN 978-0-8010-2840-3.
- Edited, with Torrey Seland and Jarl Henning Ulrichsen, Neotestamentica et Philonica: Studies in Honor of Peder Borgen on the Occasion of his 75th Birthday, January 26, 2003, NovTSupp. 106 Leiden: Brill, 2002).
- The Gospel of Matthew in Current Study: Essays in Memory of William J. Thompson, S.J. (Grand Rapids: Eerdmans, 2000). Substantive review: John Paul Heil, CBQ 63 (2001) 780-81.
- With John McCarthy. The Whole and Divided Self: The Bible and Theological Anthropology. New York: Crossroad, 1997.
- Greco‑Roman Literature and the New Testament. Atlanta: Scholars Press, 1988. Review: Dieter Zeller, Theologische Revue 85 (1989) 288-89.
- Studies in New Testament and Early Christian Literature: Essays in Honor of Allen P. Wikgren. Supplements to Novum Testamentum, 33. Leiden: E. J. Brill, 1972.
Book Translated (from Norwegian). Ragnar Leivestad, Jesus in His Own Perspective: An Examination of His Sayings, Actions, and Eschatological Titles. Minneapolis: Augsburg Publishing House, 1987 (translated from Ragnar Leivestad, Hvem Ville Jesus Vaere? [Oslo: Gyldendal Norsk Forlag], 1982).
Elected a fellow of The Norwegian Academy of Science and Letters (Det Norske Videnskaps-Akademi), Oslo, Norway, in 2009.
Elected a fellow of The Norwegian Royal Society of Sciences and Letters (Det Kongelige Norske Videnskabers Selskab), Trondheim, Norway, in 2001.
Festschrift: The New Testament and Early Christian Literature in Greco-Roman Context: Studies in Honor of David E. Aune. Edited by John Fotopoulos. Supplements to Novum Testamentum, 122. Leiden: Brill, 2006.
Named honorary president for life of the Chicago Society of Biblical Research at its last meeting on October 21, 2012.
FELLOWSHIPS AND SCHOLARSHIPS
1. Annual Professor, Albright Institute of Archaeological Research, Jerusalem, Israel, ten-month term to begin September 1, 2002 through June 30, 2003.
2. American Counsel of Learned Societies Fellowship, September 1, 2002 through August 31, 2003.
3. Alexander von Humboldt Forschungspreis for research at the University of Tübingen, August 1, 1994 through July 31, 1995..
4. National Endowment for Humanities fellowship, July 1 through December 31, 1990.
5. American Council of Learned Societies travel grant for attending the Symposium de Traditione Evangelica held in Dublin, Ireland (July 29‑August 1, 1989).
6. Summer Stipend, National Endowment for the Humanities (June 1 to July 31, 1985).
7. Fulbright Senior Lecturer, University of Trondheim, Norway (1982‑83).
8. Summer Stipend, National Endowment for the Humanities (Summer, 1976).
Home Address: 32957 Glen Eagle Lane; Niles, Michigan 49120
Home Telephone (269) 687-2517.
Fax (269) 687-2518