September 13, 14, and 15: Featuring James MacMillan
Sacred Music ND will be sponsoring “Mary and the Cross," a series of concerts linked to an interdisciplinary conference on sacred music, with an emphasis on new music for congregational singing. Renowned Scottish composer James MacMillan will be present for both series of events, conducting a short motet on John 19:26-7 which we have commissioned. We will also be performing his Magnificat and his Seven Last Words of Christ on the Cross, as well as a program of Renaissance choral works on the Seven Sorrows of the Blessed Virgin Mary. Featured choirs include Aguava New Music Studio - Carmen-Helena Tellez, director; Pomerium - Alexander Blachly, director and the South Bend Chamber Singers -Nancy Menk, director. More details will be forthcoming.
- open to composers, scholars, conductors and sacred music directors
- in celebration of the 175th anniversary of the founding of the Congregation of the Holy Cross
- with guest composer and lecturer James MacMillan, discussing and conducting his new composition on Mary and the Cross, especially commissioned for this event
- featuring the participation of guests artists and scholars, with faculty and students from the University of Notre Dame alongside national and regional ensembles and conductors
- events at the Notre Dame Conference Center (McKenna Hall) and the DeBartolo Performing Arts Center
All performances will be ticketed but free events.
A detailed program, conference registration fees and guidelines, and event ticket Information will be available shortly. For immediate questions, please write to firstname.lastname@example.org