John A. O'Brien Professor of Theology (Emeritus)
History of Christianity
BA (St. Bernards Seminary)
STL (Gregorian University) MA
PhD (Florida State University
Research and Teaching Interests
Theology and Culture
(1) Brother Francis: Writings By and About Saint Francis of Assisi (ed. And trans.)
Harper and Row, 1972. Catholic Digest Book Selection. Paperback: 1975.
(2) Francis of Assisi (Boston: Twayne, 1976)
(3) The Meaning of Saints (Harper and Row, 1980)
(4) Saint Francis of Assisi (Harper and Row, 1981)
(5) Culture and Values: A Survey of the Western Humanities 2vol+alternate volume
(Holt, Rinehart and Winston, 1981/1982) [with John Reich]
2nd. Edition revised: 1990
3rd. Edition revised: 1993 (Harcourt Brace)
4th. Edition revised: 1997 (Harcourt Brace)
5th. Edition revised: 2001 (Harcourt College)
6th Edition revised: 2005 (Thomson)
7th Edition revised 2009 (Thomson)
(6) Mother of God (HarperSan Francisco, 1982)
(7) The Catholic Heritage (Crossroad, 1983)
Fall 1983 Catholic Book Club selection
Soft cover: 1984
(8) The Catholic Experience (Crossroad, 1985)
(9) The Catholic Faith: An Introduction (Paulist, 1987)
Catholic Press Association Award for Best Book on Catholicism: 1987
(9a) [Spanish Translation: Una Introduccion a La Fe Catolica (Mexico City: Diana, 1997).]
(10) Faith Rediscovered: Coming Home To Catholicism (Paulist, 1987)
(11) Catholic Prayer (Crossroad, 1989)
(12) The Sacred Quest: An Invitation To the Study of Religion (MacMillan, 1990) [With John Kelsay]
2nd. Edition: 1994
3rd Edition: 2001
4th Edition: 2005 (Prentice Hall)
5th Edition (2009)
6th Edition (2012)
(13)Thomas Merton: Spiritual Master [editor] (Paulist, 1992)
(14) A Search For Solitude: The Journals of Thomas Merton 1952-1960 [editor] (HarperSan Francisco, 1996)
Softcover Edition: 1997
(15) Christian Spirituality: Themes From the Tradition [with Keith Egan] (Paulist, 1996). (15a) [Korean Translation of Christian Spirituality]: 2004]
(15b) [Spanish translation: Espiritualidad cristiana (Santander: Sal Terrae, 2004)]
(16) Ecumenism: Present Realities and Future Prospects [editor] (Notre Dame Press, 1998)
(17) Thomas Merton and the Monastic Vision (Grand Rapids, MI: Eerdmans, 1999) [AOutstanding academic choice award@]
(18) John Henry Newman: Spiritual Texts [editor] (Hyde Park, NY: New City, 2004)
(20) Francis of Assisi: Performing the Gospel Life (Grand Rapids, MI: Eerdmans, 2004)
(20b) [Korean Translation: Seoul: Poiema, 2010]
(21) A Brief History of the Saints (Oxford: Blackwell, 2005)
(21b) [Japanese translation: Tokyo: Kyobunkwan, 2007]
(21c) [Portuguese Translation: Jose Olympio, 2011]
(21d) [Polish Translation,2009]
(22) The Way of Humility by Andre Louf. [Edited/Translated from the French by Lawrence S. Cunningham] (Collegeville: Cistercian Publications, 2007).
(23) Introduction to Roman Catholicism (Cambridge University Press, 2009).
(24) Intractable Disputes about the Natural Law: Alasdair McIntyre and His Critics, ed. Lawrence S. Cunningham (University of Notre Dame Press, 2009).
(25) Things Seen and Unseen (Notre Dame: IN: Sorin Books, 2010).
(26) The Chapels of Notre Dame (University of Notre Dame Press, 2012).
(2&) The Seven Deadly Sins: A Visitor's Guide (Ave Maria/Sorin, 2012)/
Chapters in Books
A Catholicism and Western Culture,@ in Exploring Theology, ed. Anne Hession and Patricia Kieran (Dublin: Veritas, 2007) 42-52.
“The Way and the Ways: Reflections on Catholic Spirituality,” in Life in the Spirit: Spiritual Formation in Theological Perspective, ed. Greenman and Kalantzis (Downers Grove, IL: IVP Academic, 2010) 82-96.
“Christian Martyrdom: A Theological Perspective,” in Witness of the Body: The Past, Present, and Future of Christian Martyrdom, ed. Michael Budde and Karen Scott (Grand Rapids,MI: Eerdmans, 2011) 3-19.
“Perspectives on Catholic Theology,” in Teaching the Tradition, edited by John Piderit and Melanie Morey (New York: Oxford University Press, 2012) 47-64.
2013 Recipient of the CSC Spirit Award
909 Riverside Drive
South Bend, IN 46616